Frequently Asked Questions
JJ Kane makes it easy to register and bid.
We conduct our registration and bidding online through Proxibid, a third-party provider that manages a platform for auctions and payment processing. Learn more about how to create an account and register for our auctions.
Anyone can attend our auctions. You do not have to be a dealer to purchase.
In rare cases, some items are only available for auction to licensed automotive dealers. Those items are noted as "Dealer, Out of State." This note means that you must be a licensed automotive dealer or that you must live out of the state of the auction sale to purchase those items. Generally, those requirements are in place to comply with state or local laws, such as emission regulations. The vast majority of auction inventory is available to anyone who has a valid, government-issued photo ID.
- A valid, government-issued ID (i.e. driver's license or passport)
- Must be 18 years of age or older (Some auction locations require attendees to be at least 16 years of age to enter the property)
- Complete company name, address, telephone number and contact name if purchasing
- Copy of dealer and resale certificate if you are a dealer
Fees and Taxes
There is no registration fee at our auctions.
Our buyer's fee in all states, with the exception of California, is 10%. In California, the buyer's fee is variable and is currently 15%.
This fee does not include the additional charge from Proxibid, a third-party provider that manages a platform for auctions and payment processing.
- Sales tax on non-titled items
- Titled items are subject to sales tax in states that mandate we be a dealer/broker
- Registration fee and additional DMV fees based on the state of purchase
- Administrative fee for titled pieces is $125.00 per piece.
- Administrative fee for non-titled pieces is variable but does not exceed $50.00 per piece.
Yes, we are required to collect sales tax by law.
The tax may vary in each auction based on location and regulations. Tax is collected based on state rules both for titled and non-titled items, where sales tax is applicable.
To be exempt from tax, you must email a copy of your resale and dealer certificate as proof of exemption. We will review the exemption to determine if the state of purchase acknowledges the waiver.
In many cases, the state of purchase will require you to fill out another state-issued form.
- Certified Funds (money orders, wire transfers, cashiers and traveler's checks)
- Personal or Company Checks If you are writing a personal or company check, a valid driver's license is required.
- Credit and Debit Cards Note: Credit and debit cards can be used for purchases up to $10,000 per customer per sale.
For all auctions, payment is required the same day.
However, in cases where your purchase amount has exceeded the amount of funds you brought, you can leave a deposit and come back the next business day by noon to finalize the transaction.
Titles and Temporary Tags
Please contact the location via phone or email to inform us who will be picking up on your behalf.
They will need:
- A copy of the invoice or hauler slip provided by us
- A valid ID to verfiy proper release of the item
Items purchased must be removed by appointment only by contacting the personnel/location specified on the hauler slip. These hours and dates vary by location.
You must contact the location/sale site of purchase as soon as you know you will be unable to meet the pick-up deadline.
In most cases, you will not be able to leave items at the site. Items will be hauled and stored at a location where the cost will be incurred by the buyer.
Communication with the closeout personnel is mandatory and is the responsibility of the buyer. Please contact the site where the item is sold or our corporate office at (856) 764-7163.
Auction and Equipment Updates
Our current payout time is fourteen business days post-sale by check or wire transfer.
We are always looking for new customers to consign quality items. Please contact us and we will connect you with the salesperson in your area to discuss options for getting the best dollar for your consignments.